Saturday, February 19, 2011

Proverbs

I had a laugh last week which reminded me of the present-day proverbs. I was asked a question to which the answer indicated that the person was too late. He immediately responded, "My mother always said, 'You snooze, you loose!'" He shrugged his shoulders and admitted that perhaps she was correct and he ought to pay closer attention. I chuckled.

Immediately I thought of my mother who repeatedly sought to get my brother and myself to understand that "the best gift I can give you in life is self-discipline." Oh, I took it to heart but I am not at all sure about my brother.... well maybe he grew into it but it took a long time!

As I read through the Book of Proverbs this week it struck me that wisdom is hard-won. Though we are taught well as children by our parents, the school system, and the Church, ultimately it takes some life experiences to begin to "get it." Are we ever truly wise? Obviously not. But can we seek to live wisely? I am in agreement with the writers of the Proverbs, wise living can only be possible with the help of the LORD.

When men and women in the Presbyterian Church (USA) are ordained, one of the questions is, Will you seek to serve the people with energy, intelligence, imagination, and love? Every time I hear that question directed to myself or another I get a shiver. Energy, intelligence, imagination, and love. What an incredible combination. To me this speaks of serving with wisdom. Don't we need a bit of all four of these attributes to even come close to serving wisely? Of course, the first ordination questions focus on one's faith in God, Christ, the Holy Spirit. Our faith is the basis for seeking to serve wisely. May wisdom never be separated from faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment