Saturday, February 12, 2011

Psalms

I've been thinking a lot about the Psalms this week (wonder why?!). Here are some of my observations. 

Two of my favorites are Psalm 8 and Psalm 24. These Psalms have verses that have been made popular by songs and hymns we sing. But more importantly I am drawn in to the invitation to praise God and to seek to be godly. "O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!" How awed I am by this declaration. "The earth is the LORD's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters." To lift my hands in exclamation to the awesome creation of God brings me to my knees. 

Then there are the pleas of the writers - deliver, rescue, restore, don't be far, teach me! It is quite easy to identify with the Psalmist's sense of separation from God. When God seems to be silent, what am I to do?  Listen to the Psalmist, of course. Hardly ever so we read the lament without an affirmation of faith in the LORD. I must listen and learn from this incredible balance of fear and faith. For God IS my refuge and my strength. For God is the Light unto my world, the Shepherd leading along the path of faith, my rock and salvation. May I ever extol the LORD's name.




 

1 comment:

  1. Reading the Psalms this time around is a very different experience for me. They are expressions of the Israelite people in the tabernacle and temple. They are expressions of God's power or requests for God to be with them against their enemies - because they are God's chosen people. The use of the word "king" has context. I am reading them as though I was a member of one of the tribes of Israel.

    ReplyDelete