Thursday, February 2, 2012


Grace

Many years ago as a twenty-something I fell in love with the word grace and the depth of concept that went with the word. It all began when I read Ephesians as an adult for the first time. These passages changed my life….

Ephesians 1:5-8
God destined us for adoption as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace that he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace that he lavished on us.

The moment I read those verses and may others in Ephesians I knew. I knew that I had gained what I certainly didn’t deserve, God’s love and forgiveness and adoption into the family of God. It couldn’t have been more a powerful, almost palpable moment for me. And I have never let go!

Many of you also know that I have been working out at the gym fairly regularly for almost two years with a trainer on the strength portion of my health. The intended outcome is to keep the arthritis in check so that I might have a more full and long life. One of the challenges to working out is the cardio portion. Music has been the lifesaver on that front. So, you can imagine that one of my favorites is Grace by U2 from the album All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

I wish you could listen, but here are the lyrics. Bono has captured the concept for me beautifully.

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things!

Grace

Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work
You can hear her strings
Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things

Music: U2
Lyrics: Bono

No comments:

Post a Comment