Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Greetings and Farewell

Many years ago, 57 to count, I was the Angel of the Lord in the Christmas pageant at our elementary school. It was the full-blown story from the Annunciation to the Wise Men – in a public school no less. Since I was the tallest in my class the angel role fell to me, though they also placed me high on a box above the whole of the stage.

Perhaps it was unwittingly the beginning of my journey toward ministry, but more importantly it brought the whole of the “Christmas Story” to the forefront of my psyche. I read and re-read the biblical accounts. I studied (as limited as a sixth grader can do) the feelings I sensed at every turn. It became vividly clear to me that this was no ordinary story. It became part of my being, that God loved us so much that God gave his only son to be our Savior. I never looked back. I felt God’s presence in my life from that play forward.

As 2016 approaches my “formal” call to ministry is coming to an end. I will no longer be in a position of recognition in the denomination, I will no longer be “on the inside” of so many issues, concerns, joys, celebrations of clergy, church elders and deacons, leaders, congregational members. Does it give me pause? Yes. But I harken back (pardon the pun) to the Angel of the Lord announcing the future of faith in God. God is with me in my journey of faith and service. There will be a next phase and I look forward to what is in store for me.

I thank the Presbytery of Boise for the nine years they have elected me to serve as their Stated Clerk. I am grateful for the colleagues that have worked so hard to make the presbytery a place of accomplishment and care. I am grateful for this call to ministry.

As of January 1, 2016 the Rev. Richard Green will be answering and sending emails from boisestatedclerk@gmail.com. Dick Green has good “Church” experience, has been a quick study, has a pastor’s heart and a knack for organization. I am thrilled to pass the baton to such a good person of faith.

I will, however, be answering the emails at boisepbyexec@gmail.com until a new executive is approved, hopefully at the February meeting of the presbytery. If you are interested, please send your letter of intent and personal information to the Presbytery of Boise, 950 W State St, Boise, ID 83702 by the end of the first week in January.

As Christmas draws near, I wish you and yours and your congregations a Christmas filled with the knowledge of the God-child and the Spirit as you seek to be faithful in your journey of life.

I close this last note to you with these words from Ann Weems:

 IT IS NOT OVER

It is not over,
            this birthing.
There are always newer skies
            into which
                        God can throw stars.
When we begin to think
            that we can predict the Advent of God,
            that we can box the Christ
                        in a stable in Bethlehem,
            that’s just the time
                        that God will be born
            in a place we can’t imagine and won’t believe.
Those who wait for God
            watch with their hearts and not their eyes,
                        listening
                                    always listening      

                                                for angel words.

1 comment:

  1. When I completed my term as PW Vice Moderator for Mission Relationships, Churchwide, I commented that one of many things I would miss would be people asking my opinion. I learned that God gives us a rest but then begins to nudge us to new service in ways we might have missed if we hadn't released ourselves to see it. You will find that too, although the leaving of now feels oh so bittersweet. You have so much to offer, my friend. God is waiting.

    ReplyDelete